If you are an employee working for a large corporate entity please understand the following:
1. You are of zero value to the company beyond what THEY deem valuable. The definition of “value” changes daily.
2. You are not a person. You are a number.
3. Your boss is NOT your friend, regardless how much you might suck up, or how much he or she may provide you special treatment. At some point your boss’ job will be threatened and if he/she needs to step on you to save their job, you can be assured you will be gone before you can take your next breath.
4. Telling staff they are being downsized “ahead of time” is not a display of integrity. It is simply the result of a group of executive minions getting together and deciding the best way to keep you guys working and give you the illusion of hope that maybe things will change and they won’t downsize you after all.
5. You have no job security.
6. Your loyalty and hard work will never be repaid. It will be abused. It will appear to be appreciated until it is deemed that your salary is cutting into the big guys “competitive compensation.”
7. Corporate executives do what is good for them, not what is good for you.
8. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU, YOUR FAMILY, YOUR NEEDS, OR WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU ONCE YOU ARE CUT LOOSE. THEY WILL FORGET ABOUT YOU. Their lives will continue in the same vein as always, complete with luxury vacations, great medical care, plenty of food on the table, spending sprees, and conspicuous consumption while you plead with your landlord to give you another week to scrape together the back rent before you are evicted.
Don’t ever forget any of this.
Keep your resume updated and on Careerbuilder, Dice, Monster, Linked In, and any other place you can think of. Keep it in front of every headhunter, placement agency, and hiring manager you can. Network. If you do this you might have a chance at finding a new job. Right now, with our economy spinning out of control, the odds aren’t good, but there’s always a chance. Keep that thought of a chance in front of you and get your resume together and OUT THERE NOW!